Saturday, August 18, 2012

Olympic Fun!

 In the running theme of my blog right now this post is also later then I planned!!  Anyway the Olympics at my house growing up was huge!  And I loved it!  So I am passing that down to my kids!  We had a party for opening ceremonies, the kids made bracelets and we had cake with the Olympic rings and torches made with popcorn put in ice cream cones and some other things, it was super fun-
Having grown up in the Air Force we learned our geography really well and was disturbed to find when we got back stateside that alot of kids didnt know where other countries were!  Well that is not happening in my house so I got this awesome idea to make learning geography during the Olympics!  I found a poster with the flags of the word and then got another poster of the map of the world.
 Then while we were watching and the kids saw a flag the didnt know they would find it on the poster and then we would find it on the map and mark it-the kids loved it!  And the best part is by the end of the two weeks they knew where about 10 other countries were and recognize alot of them by their flags.  So I think that it will become an Olympic tradition at our house!

No comments: