Monday, November 24, 2008

Festival of Trees Parade!

Every year around Thanksgiving there is a Festival of Trees out here. It is held in a Downtown Convention Center. People sign up and very elaboratly decorate trees, mantles, stockings, doors, and ornaments. They have a huge room full of Gingerbread houses. Everything can be bought. It is really cool. It is kicked off by a parade. It is the largest helium balloon parade in the midwest! The kids got a kick out of it but man it was FREEZING!!! It was about 25-30ish degrees and WINDY! It lasted about an our and when it was done the feeling in my fingers, with gloves, and my toes was pretty much nonexhistant!
The kids were awesome! They didn't ever really seemed fazed by the seriously uncomfortable weather-they just kept asking for food! They sounded like we never fed them! Anyway the parade was filled with tractors (of course it is a must have!), bands from the local high schools and troups from some of the dance studio. We even had Miss Iowa! And of course the balloons! The one sad thing was that since it was so windy they weren't able to have the ballons fly very high so that was a bummer. The parade was even complete with a sleigh pulled by Deere. And no before you laugh at me and think that I don't know how to spell remember where I live! We are in John Deere country out here! The sleigh was pulled by John Deere tracktors! It was totally fun! Unfortunatly that was one picture I didn't get, sorry!! They had on troup of
batonists(?) or baton twirlers which ever(!) and the poor girl in the front she must have been freezing!

1 comment:

Campbell Family said...

Oh, I love that parade! It really is a cool one to see! You poor things...you sure look dang cold! You are very brave. But it's one of those things you just can't miss huh! Go sit by a fire for a while...in fact I feel like I need too...you've made me cold!