Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"You are being mean to me!"

Abby was blessed with the talent of being able to stay strong and focused when she puts her mind on something and even more focused when you are losing your patience. Last night we put her in bed and she did the classic come-out-and-ask-a-question thing over and over. Now I know that we should be strong and not get crazy and put her in her room untill she gets it. The problem is that we don't have central air, just window units and in an effort to keep their rooms cool at night we leave their doors open with a fan in the hall. Dylan gets an elevated gate-can't climb over can't go under, so he is taken care of. Abby on the other hand feels she has to put her opinions in every conversation we have! She kept coming out and out and out and out. So I finally told her that I needed her to listen and obey and that I was losing my patience with her. She came over with her blanket and tears in her eyes and said "Mom, you guys are being so mean to me!" If I was weaker I would have melted and scooped her up and given her a hug, but you migh think me cold hearted but really I know my daughter and she was really tired and just trying to keep herself awake! So I told "Well I am sorry you feel that way but you aren't being nice to me when you don't listen and obey and when you don't do those things mom and dad reserve the right to punish! So she went into her room, NOT quietly, I shut her door and she went to sleep!

1 comment:

Ben and Jen said...

If I didn't know your kids I would say you are mean. I just don't know how you keep a straight face with some of the things they say. You have some choice children there :)