Monday, September 29, 2008

"We are too little"

We have been working on taking reponsibility for your own messes because some kids in this house like to have fun but hate to clean it up! Anyway Abby and Dylan were playing with some puzzles and the rule is get one and then put it away before you get another one out. I thought it was pretty simple. well they decided to play with a couple of them at the same time and had quite the pile of pieces. So I told them it was time for them to pick them up. Oh my gosh the drama that came after that! Dylan is in his own little two year old world so he really didn't pay much attention to me at all. Abby started crying and said to me "This mess is too big and we are too little. We need help" Bryan's reply was "If you are big enough to make a big mess than you are big enough to pick it up!" Go Bryan! She didn't like that as you can imagine! I got Dylan to pick up part of the mess so all that was left was what was saved for Abby. But being tired and grumpy the crying and drama continued until I finally told her that it was time for bed. Well she didn't want to got to bed so that caused another whole round. I told her "I am sorry that you have to go to bed early but you don't have control of yourself so maybe tomorrow you will be able to have better control and be happier" she was like "o.k." and pretty much went in and went to sleep. Cross your fingers that sleep does her good!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

I have a love/hate relationship with puzzles. My kids love them and they keep them occupied for long periods of time but oh the mess when they just pull them all out!
When Aaron tells me he can't clean up because he doesn't know how I just say "Fine. If you can't clean them up than you can't play with them" and I take them away. It only took a few incidents of me taking toys away before he figured out he did know how to clean up.