Monday, December 8, 2008

St. Nicholas drives!

I am an Air Force brat and proud of it! Growing up in the Air Force, I got the chance to travel around, which I LOVED! Each place we went my mom found something fun from that culture to incorporate into our family traditions. While in Germany we adopted the celebration of St. Nicholas Day. There St. Nicholas comes on dec. 6th. You put one of your shoes outside and if you were good than you would get a toy and if you were bad then you got sticks or coal. Now every kid likes to think that they are always good but one year something went drastically wrong! We all got up in the morning and ran with anticipation to check our shoes and what did we find? Sticks! Sticks tied in a string. We were completely devastated! I mean it's Christmas!! Now if you hear this story from my mom she will tell you that it was a joke played by some friends of ours and that we all got toys. But if you ask any of my siblings curiously no one remembers the toys! So celebrating St. Nicholas Day is a tradition that I have brought to my own family. So the kids put out their shoes and were excited to get a gift. They thought it was great! Later that night Abby was sitting on my lap and asked "Mom, what color is St. Nicholas' car?". Hmmm, apparently I didn't do a good job of explaining that St. Nicholas is more traditional and doesn't drive a car!

1 comment:

Kathleen and Justin Lofley said...

Hey! Cute family Christmas pic! Abigail looks absolutely thrilled about the situation. And Lacey looks like a Who from Whoville. Adorable!