Monday, February 9, 2009

"I made a word!"

Abby is a little type A- she gets that from me- and she gets alittle fanatical about her books!
Abby has been trying to figure out how to read words for alittle while now. Within the last week it has really clicked that letters make sounds and sound make words and words make stories. She will bring me a book and sit down and start sounding out words! It really suprised me how quick she has picked it up. The first time she figured out a word by herself she was sitting on my lap at church and she was looking at a book (obviously!!), she put her little finger under each letter, made the sounds, said them alittle faster and then faster and the realized she said the word- she turned and looked at me with a huge smile on her face and said in a whisper "I made a word! I made a word with the letters!"! She was so excited! Now she is on her way to "read in her head" as she calls it! Whenever I am reading a book she will come up and ask "Mom? Are you reading in your head? When I get big I can read in my head?"! She cracks me up!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

that's so funny! very cute

Charity said...

Hey Allison! It's so nice to see you and your beautiful fam. I am still trying to figure out this whole blogging thing. My friend was over the other day for a couple hours helping me. So I'm sorry I never respond very quickly.